Thursday, September 27, 2018

Bondi Beach - surf's up!

Bondi Beach is one of those mythical places that I've heard about for years, but never really had a picture in my head of what it looked like.  It's just a 45 minute ride on public transit from central Sydney, and I can imagine that in the height of summer, the place gets packed.

Bondi Beach
It took me a while to figure out that if you click on these small pictures, you get the full size version.  You can even skip all of this commentary by just clicking on the big picture to move to the next one.



Anyhow, being just a few days into spring here, and with rain yesterday and a forecast in the mid-60's F, the beach wasn't too busy, but there were plenty of surfers out in the water, and the waves were in good form.  Facing the water, it's newbies and soft boards to the left, and experienced with fiberglass boards to the right.





There were some really talented surfers out there.  I imagine that the weather is good for surfing year round, so plenty of opportunity to practice.

There's also an excellent skate park at Bondi, along with a fairly lame version of Venice's Muscle Beach.  Lots of well behaved dogs walking off leash, and plenty of little kids that I was sure were going to get washed out to sea, but never did.  Also some cool art on the walls along the walkway.




Back to the city for my last hurrah before heading up to Alice Spings and my caravan (RV) in the bush tomorrow.  I took a lap up and around the end of the Harbour Bridge, and stopped in at a small brew pub called the Tap Room for their Aussie IPA and a plate of "kangaroo croquettes".  Never had kangaroo before, so when presented with the chance, how could I say no?

Roo balls
Just a tiny bit gamey with the texture of pot roast, when you add some spices and a few more ingredients that I can't identify and then deep fry them, they make for the perfect pub fare to go with a cold beer.

Here are a few final photos from my Sydney walkabout.  Signing off for now and I expect for a while.  No idea what to expect up in Alice Spings and around Uluru and the Kings Canyon National Park.  Hoping to take a lot of great photos and get my drone up in the air.







No comments: